“How do you feel about studying abroad in Shanghai for five months?”
I've been asked this many, many times over the past few months, and my answers have changed drastically.
- Three months ago: "I CAN'T WAIT!!!"
- Two months ago: "I have no idea what I'm doing with my life, and I'm terrified."
- One month ago: "I can't believe this is actually happening. I'm so excited!"
- This week: "Yeah, I'm leaving on Saturday for a foreign country. Can't speak the language. Probably going to be a pretty cool experience. Is this what they call shock?"
At this point, I have no idea what to expect, but I am ready to take on the world. I know you want to hear about my exciting trip, but I'll start off my blog with a little introduction. My name is Maggie, and I’m a junior at Saint Vincent College. Two and a half years ago, I moved almost a thousand miles away from my family in beautiful St. Augustine, Florida, and started college as a Bearcat. I'm double-majoring in management and psychology, and this past semester, the McKenna School of Business gave me the wonderful opportunity to study abroad in Shanghai as a student and as a Westinghouse intern.
- I've never written a blog.
- I'm an SVC tour guide, and I basically live in the Admissions office.
- My favorite animal is the panda.
- I'm an art fanatic, a writer, and an outdoors enthusiast.
- I've never traveled outside of the Unites States.
With that said, welcome to my blog! I can't really tell you what to expect, but I can promise that it will be an adventure. I will try at least one bizarre street meal (pics or it didn’t happen), I will visit unique and beautiful places, and I will tell many stories from the other side of the world. I hope to post something every week, so you will have plenty to read.
I only have three days until my flight. Shanghai, here I come!
Zài jiàn for now! 再见!