One of the first reactions people have when I tell them I go to school at Saint Vincent is: “Isn’t that in the middle of nowhere?!” Well … kind of … but there’s actually a lot to do around here. I’ve always liked small-town living, which is one thing that really made me fall in love with this campus. We have our own little community that is quiet and separate from the hustle and bustle of city life. But, if we hop in the car, there are tons of options for fun things to do within a 20-minute drive.
Over my past two years here, I’ve done a lot of exploring off-campus to find new and exciting things to do. APB and other club activities always keep campus life interesting, but sometimes we just want to switch it up and get away for a little. So, I’ve compiled this list of places within a 20-minute drive to inspire your next off-campus adventure!
Food and Beverage
- White Rabbit Café and Patisserie: Sitting right on Main Street in Greensburg, this is the perfect place to study or grab a coffee! The White Rabbit offers every variation of coffee and dessert imaginable. They are always switching it up with flavors, so make sure you check out their Instagram for new specials: @whiterabbitgreensburg. My go-to is a hot lavender vanilla latte – sounds weird, but I promise its amazing!
- Giannilli’s: Not just one awesome Italian place in our area, but there are actually two Giannilli’s within 15 minutes of campus. One is in downtown Latrobe and the other is halfway to Greensburg on Route 30! They have an awesome selection of Italian cuisine for a price that won’t break a college student’s bank. This is a great restaurant to go to when your family is visiting!
- Sun Dawg Café: The Sun Dawg Café offers a unique and delicious assortment of breakfast or lunch options, always served fresh. They are known for their take on Mexican dishes, fruit/veggie juices and pastries.
- Sharky’s: Right up the road from SVC is Sharky’s Café! It is a sports bar and grill that has a wide array of options on its menu. I’ve never gotten something from here that I didn’t like, and a major plus is that they now deliver!
- Coffee Bean Café: Drive a little further down Route 30 from Sharky’s and you’ll find the Coffee Bean Café! A cute and quiet spot to grab a drink and a bite to eat. They have assorted pastries, bagels and sandwiches. Aside from coffee, you could also have a fresh fruit smoothie.
- Tokyo – Sushi and Hibachi: Love Chinese? Well, this is my new favorite place to get it near our campus. Tokyo is located in the plaza near Giant Eagle and has an awesome selection for an even better price.
- Don Patron: Probably the restaurant on this list that my friends and I frequent the most. Don Patron never disappoints! If you enjoy Mexican food, you’d love it here.
Then there are all of the chain restaurants and coffee shops like Denny’s (open till 2 a.m. by the way), Eat’n Park, Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts, Olive Garden, Chipotle, Chick-Fil-A, etc. One thing about living at SVC is that when you get tired of the cafeteria food, the off-campus options are endless and yummy.
- Winnie Palmer Nature Reserve: This beautiful habitat and walking trail is literally right across the street from our campus! Winnie Palmer is one of my favorite places to admire nature, go for a run or take photos.
- Keystone State Park: Featuring a lake and gorgeous walking trail, Keystone is an awesome place to enjoy water sports like kayaking, to go fishing, have a picnic lunch or just relax with friends.
- Linn Run State Park: This is the one place that is a little further away but is totally worth the 30-minute drive. This park has amazing hiking trails and waterfalls. A popular hike is the Beam’s Rock trail that leads to a stunning view.
- Twin Lakes Park: Another beautiful place to enjoy the outdoors. Twin Lakes has a walking trail and plenty of places to have a meal by either of the two lakes.
- The Westmoreland Mall: We are lucky to have a mall just 15 minutes away from campus! If you need to buy something last minute or simply want to go on a shopping spree with friends for the day, you don’t have to travel very far to make it happen!
- Ligonier Farmer’s Market: On Saturdays from 8 a.m. to noon in the early fall and late spring, there is a farmer’s market in Ligonier! The vendors sell handcrafted goods and fresh produce.
- Barnes and Noble: Fellow bookworms – there’s a HUGE Barnes and Noble in Greensburg. This is the perfect place to relax, browsing new reads, or to set up for an evening of studying. Not to mention there’s a Starbucks inside … a win-win!
- U.F.O.: In my opinion, this is one of the coolest places on this list! U.F.O. is an antique shop located in downtown Greensburg. You could spend hours in there admiring all of the unique vintage finds.
- Thrift Stores: I personally do most of my shopping at thrift stores these days. Luckily, there’s plenty in our area. Both Latrobe and Greensburg have a Goodwill and Salvation Army!
- Escape Room: Latrobe has its own Escape Room, believe it or not! It’s right down the road from campus and is an awesome way to spend an hour with your friends. It’s indoor, so this is definitely something to keep in mind for the winter days ahead.
- Bowling: Lincoln Lanes is super close to campus and who doesn’t love bowling?? Another perfect activity for a night out with friends.
- Statler’s Fun Center: During the warmer months, Statler’s is open for mini-golfing and go-carting! Get a group of friends and head over there for some old-fashioned fun.
So next time someone asks you “What is there to do near SVC?!” You can respond with any of these places or find some unique spots of your own! There’s so much to see both on our campus and just a short drive away. From food to shopping to fun – I hope that you can refer back to this list to plan a day out!